On trying to be one of the 50...or one of the 10...
When I first began a serious study of the history of America, I was repeatedly struck by how often I saw the divine hand of providence in the formation and protection of this country. This book is about 7 of those times...seven miracles both in the early and recent history of America. But I don't think that this is what that book is really (or totally) about. I think it is about hope and faith.
As I read the final chapter of this book, Naaman from 2 Kings 5 came to my mind. Wanting to be healed from the plague of leprosy, he goes to the prophet Elisha whom he had been told could heal him. The prophet sends a messenger to Naaman telling him to go and wash 7 times in the river Jordan. Naaman, insulted by this response, prepares to leave. His servants come to him and point out "if the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?"
As we watch our own nation suffer economically, socially, and spiritually, I think most of us would do any great thing if we truly believed it would solve the problems we face, and yet we often overlook the simple things that we can and should do. Read this book and when you get to the last chapter, I think you will understand what I mean and why I think it gives us hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment